Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Victory at last!

I think after 3 weeks of no accidents it's safe to say Michael is FULLY potty trained!  For those of you mommies with boys- you know how intense this is :)  We started with #1 (pee-pee for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about), which he caught onto within about a week.  He would still have accidents, mostly while he was playing outside and didn't want to stop playing until he could no longer hold it. I remember our first trip to La Fogata (our favorite Mexican restaurant) I was SO nervous with him not having a diaper and not having his little potty near by, you know "out of sight out of mind?" He made it an entire hour and even went pee before we left. 
Then the frustration of #2 set in, by week 6 of cleaning poop out of his underwear I was literally- repeating myself every 30 minutes-
Me- "Michael do you have to go poo-poo?
Mikey- "NO" (not looking at me, continuing to do whatever he was doing)
Me- "If you go poo-poo in your pants you'll get spanked"
Mikey- "No go poo-poo mommy"
Sometimes he'd wait 10 minutes and then poop, which would be followed by a time-out and a spanking and a lecture.  Then daddy would get home and lecture him some-more. I'm not sure why we thought lecturing a 2 year old would work- but nevertheless.
Finally the bribing set in; candy, cookies, cake, new cars, new shoes-anything.  We thought of everything and nothing did the trick. Then I realized one day- he has a friend who has the Little Einstein's toy "Rocket". He loves Little Einstein's right now- watches them every morning.  So I told him he could have Rocket if he pooped on the potty.  Sure enough, the next day he's sitting on the potty- poops- looks right at me and says:
"I go poo-poo in the potty- I get a ROCKET!"
So he and daddy were off Wal-mart to find Rocket, which of course was NO WHERE to be found.  So they came home with the most obnoxious toy in the world:
Dude- who's real name is DJ from the movie Cars, but Michael refuses to call him DJ- it's Dude. He plays loud music, says stuff like "crank it up," "it's all about the tunes"... yeah nice.
Praise the Lord for Dude :)  Now if I could just get him to come in the house and go pee...


1 comment:

The Parsons' blog said...

My question is - does he wake up dry from the night??! If so, please tell me the secret for boys... Jonah has yet to learn that trick.